Founded in 1829 by Jacques Bollinger, Paul-Joseph Renaudin and Admiral de Vilermont, the company came into it's own in the 20th century with Lily Bollinger at the helm. Bollinger's signature style was delveloped during Lily's tenure and it's rich, oak-aged, Pinot dominant style has many dedicated fans.
Bollinger La Grande Annee 2012
“The 2012 Grande Année is vibrant and wonderfully nuanced. Citrus peel, orchard fruit, brioche, dried flowers and chamomile are all finely knit in a Grand Année built on energy and persistence more than size. Readers will find a restrained Grand Année in 2012. There is plenty of the textural richness that is such a signature of the house style, but I am also struck by the wine’s freshness. Best of all, the 2012 will drink well right out of the gate. It is quite expressive today, even in the early going.”
94 Points Antonio Gallon, Vinous
Grande Année (vintage): When Bollinger believes there is an exceptional harvest, they will produce their prestige Champagne Grande Année (“great vintage”) designed to express the character of the vintage. The house will select the best wines, cru by cru, 75% of the fruit is from Grand Cru sites, the remaining 25% from the finest Premier Cru. First fermentation is in 100% old oak barrels, aged for 5 years on its lees and aged in bottle under cork, instead of crown seal. (Composition: 65% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay.)