This family owned Champagne house was founded in 1895. Following the ravages of phylloxera, the land was planted with Pinot Noir grafted to American rootstocks. In 1928, Fleury became the first Champagne grower in the Côte de Bars to produce their own Champagne. Current owner, Jean-Pierre Fleury took over the estate in 1962. A follower of alternative medicine and lover of nature, Jean-Pierre started on the path towards biodynamic farming, finally converting the entire 15 hectare holding to biodynamics in 1989, the first Champagne producer to do so and the first to become Demeter certified.
Fleury is based in Courteron in the Aube, which is the southern most part of the Champagne region. In the past, this area belonged to both Champagne and Burgundy. The soils here are composed of Kimmeridgian clay and are very similar to the soils of Chablis. 85% of the vineyards are planted to Pinot Noir, 10% to Chardonnay and 4% to an Alsatian clone of Pinot Blanc. All vineyard work is done by hand and the ploughing is done by horse. Biodynamic preparations 500 and 501 are used here as and herbs teas of yarrow, valerian and camomile are utilised in the spring. The vineyards are bordered by a forest and are full of life – dear and wild boar are sometimes found munching on grapes.