Having been registered on 26th September 1704, some 313 years ago, Kloovenburg is the oldest registered property in the Swartland, but only by half an hour. The farm is based on the edge of Kasteelberg, the mountainous granite fin slicing through the wheatbelt that overshadows the small town of Riebeek-Kasteel. Specifically, Kloovenburg is in the ward of Riebeekberg and has been growing for many decades Shiraz, Chardonnay and other classic local cultivars. Recently this established, ancient farm has very much been part of the independent Swartland movement in terms of recognising the local shale and granite soils and increasingly successful plantings of Grenache Blanc, Grenache Noir and Carignan as well as their more traditional roster of grapes. Since 2014 the winemaker here has been the hugely-talented Jolandie Fouche whose energy and passion for this evolving region is evident in her amazing Shiraz, Grenache, and Chardonnay. Pieter du Toit, the third-generation family owner of the farm has long championed the region and his family is reflected in the Eight Feet Red and White blends, the feet being the four pairs found on his sons.
- Sorry, this product cannot be purchased.
Kloovenburg Eight Feet Red 2018
Aromas of red berries, hints of perfume, dark fruit, black olive and spice. The palate is medium full-bodied, good structure with soft and silky tannins. Pairs well with grilled and roast beef, stew, mildly spicy foods and game.
All the different components are handpicked during the early morning hours and then cooled overnight in a temperature-controlled room at 5°C. A large percentage (85%) of the Shiraz is then crushed and destemmed, whilst the remaining 15% is fermented as a whole cluster. Of the Grenache, Mourvedre and Carignan, 30% is fermented as whole cluster whilst the balance is destemmed and crushed. This is followed by a three-day cold soak at 9 °C, covered with a CO2 blanket. Fermentation takes place in open fermenters. All the grapes ferment spontaneously and separately. Extraction is obtained by three punch – downs per day. After fermentation is complete, the wine is left on the skins for another seven days. The Shiraz is then pressed to 20% new Allier French oak barrels, and the Grenache, Mourvèdre and Carignan is pressed to third and fourth fill French oak barrels, which vary from 300 L to 500 L. The pressed section is kept separate. Malolactic bacteria are inoculated and malolactic fermentation is completed in the barrel. The wine is then racked from the lees and given a low dose of sulphur. The wines spend a total of 18 months in the barrel before it is blended and bottled. The wine is named after the eight feet of the winemaker’s children who have always helped out.