Lanson began in 1760 when Francois Delamotte began making and selling his own brand of champagne. In 1786 he took on a new partner Jean-Baptiste Lanson. In 1856 the Lanson family gained full control and the name was changed to Lanson Pere Fils. Lanson is famous for blocking the malolactic fermentation preventing the conversion of malic acid to softer lactic acid. The end result is a full-flavoured bracing fresh wine which needs time in order to shed its acidity and show its richness.
Lanson has been the Champagne of choice at the Wimbledon Tennis Tournament for over 25 years and is also one of the oldest holders of the Royal Warrant. Recently Lanson has produced two new wines - the Green Label Organic Champagne and also the Clos Lanson with grapes exclusively from a one-hectare plot within the walled city of Reims.