The first Balblair distillery, based in the northern Highlands, was built in 1790 by John Ross making it one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. In 1895 it was moved half a mile north to it's current location in order to take advantage of the new railway line. This new Balblair distillery was founded Alex Cowan & Co around the start of the whisky boom of the late 19th century. Balblair was closed in 1911 due to tough economic times - it wasn't revived again until 1949.
Nowadays it is known for being classically approachable, sweet and complex.