Along with Springbank and Glengyle, Glen Scotia is one of just three distilleries in Campbeltown. Campbeltown was once the 'whisky capital of the world' but after Prohibition in the US was enacted it went from having 28 distilleries to just 3 now. Glen Scotia was founded in 1832 by Stewart, Galbraith and Co.
Glen Scotia was acquired by West Highland Malt Distillers in 1919 and five years later the company went bust. Duncan MacCallum, a director, bought the distillery. The distillery was closed again 4 years later and, in 1930, following great financial trouble, Duncan MacCallum threw himself into the Campbeltown Loch. His spirit apparently still returns to haunt the building.
In 1979, £1 million was spent on reconstruction which lasted until 1982 and two years later the distillery closed once more. Glen Scotia was acquired by Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse Ltd and in 2000 Loch Lomond distillery took over. Today, the Glen Scotia produces 100,000 litres annually - substantially lower than its three quarter million capacity. The distillery now has a staff of just two.