Established in 2002, Tabalí is a pioneer and iconic winery situated in Limarí, on the edge of the Atacama Desert in one of the northernmost vineyard regions of Chile. They were one of the first wineries to settle in Limarí and their wines faithfully reflect their place of origin in which climate and soils play a fundamental role, and bring out the potential of each of their vineyards.After years of geological research, Tabalí is the only winery that producers wines that cross Chile from east to west in the same valley (D.O.), from their incredibly high and remote site of Roca Madre (second highest vineyard in Chile) in the Andes Mountains' Rio Hurtado area down to their cool climate, 'Camanchaca' fog blanked vineyards by the Pacific Ocean. In their quest for the perfection, they now also have a site in the renowned Cabernet and Merlot region of Maipo Valley. The result is a range of truly distinctive wines with elegance, restraint and minerality which the dynamic team of Felipe Muller (winemaker) and Hector Rojas (viticulturalist) have attributed to their cabinet full of the wine world’s most prestigious trophies. In 2014, Felipe Müller was name 'Chilean Young Winemaker of the Year' and acclaimed for his ability to understand Tabali´s distinctive terroir and use it to create remarkable wines, unique to Chile.Tabalí also has the honour of stewardship of the Limarí Valley’s most significant archaeological sites, the mystical ‘Valle del Encanto’ (Enchanted Valley) which borders their vineyards. A sacred site of the ancient Molle and Diaguita culture, the many rock drawings and carved Tacita stones depict an ancient way of life. The Tabalí mask logo has been taken from one of these rock carvings, which can only be seen at certain times of day when the sun’s alignment makes them magically appear.
Tabali Talinay Vineyard Pinot Noir 2019
The Talinay vineyard is located just 12 km from the Pacific Ocean, hidden away in a small valley of Limari. This unique location provides truly excellent conditions for cool climate viticulture and is the only vineyard site in Chile to be planted over pure chalk/limestone soil – producing elegant and refined wines. The constant breeze that drifts from the ocean and over the vines creates the coolest vineyards in Limari. Proximity to the dry Atacama desert ensures the vines are virtually rot and disease free. Maximum average temperatures in the summer months never go above 23,5°C which in terms of picking means 2 or 3 weeks later than other Chilean coastal regions. The small grapes were gently ripened by the cool summer days, freshened by the coastal breeze and the local autumn mist, the famous “Camanchaca”. The fruit was hand picked in March and underwent careful bunch selection by the viticulture team. Bunches were very carefully selected, then the 70% destemmed and the other 30% whole cluster. Then they underwent a cold soak for 7 days at 8ºC, followed by the alcoholic fermentation with native yeasts in small stainless steel tanks at controlled temperatures of between 20ºC and 26ºC. This was accompanied by gentle manual pump-overs to extract all the colour and flavours from the grapes. Finally, the wine macerated for a short time to give it greater body. Following the fermentation, all of the wine was aged for 12 months in French oak barrels from prestigious sources such as Fontainebleau, Jupille, Bertrange, Troncais and Allier. All of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation.
Typically Talinay, this is bright, fresh and beautifully elegant. The palate shows typical characteristics of the Talinay vineyard. Salinity, stony minerality and refreshing acidity. It’s also shows plenty of black and Italian-esque sour cherry fruit charachters and a long, captivating finish.